Remember Yoda's Words

You can narrow down my work, as a time management coach and professional organizer, to three defined areas:

Paper/information management. Time management. Decision management.

Sometimes clients I work with don’t know what to do. But they are at a loss about the specific system, process or task needed to improve their situation.

Sometimes the client knows what to do, but not how to do it. It seems that traditional methods just don’t work for this person.

And sometimes the client knows what to do and how to do it, but they decide not to do it. This, as you might imagine, is a challenge. For the client--and others impacted by the client’s decision.

Of course as a teacher and a coach I’m there to provide, information and support. But it’s clear to me that discipline of thought precedes discipline of action. My work in this area is directed at helping my clients reach inside themselves to change their situation and make a difference.

We make choices all day, every day. Sometimes the results aren’t exactly what we had hoped for. But to quote the title of a popular book…’hope is not a strategy’. Especially if the decision is based on a purely emotional reaction or an old recording of internal chatter.

Internal chatter sounds something like this:

‘I don’t feel like doing that right now…I’ll do it next week.’

‘I don’t need to get organized, I can wing it.’

‘I really don’t like all these rules and systems…they don’t apply to me anyway.’

This chatter, or thought, represents someone delaying decisions...and making the choice to continue that habit.

But many of us aren’t trained to hear out own thoughts. Or we might not know what they really sound like because they have become so much a part of us. Thoughts are the core issue. The root cause.

You can learn to recognize which thoughts are supporting you and which are sabotaging you in becoming more productive and less stressed. Then you can master decision (choice) management. You can turn dreams into reality. You can keep commitments to yourself. Remember what Yoda, the famous Star Wars character, said, “Do or not do. There is no try.’ That’s what decisions are all about.

So start listening. Start making choices to be successful. If you need help, give me a call.